By the year 2023, High-Performance Computing (HPC) Systems are expected to break the performance barrier of the Exaflop (10^18 FLOPS) while their power consumption is kept at current levels (or incremented marginally), what is known as the Exascale challenge. In addition, more storage capacity and data-access speed is demanded to HPC clusters and datacenters to manage and store huge amounts of data produced by software applications, what is known as the Big-Data challenge. Indeed, both the Exascale and Big-Data challenges are driving the technological revolution of this decade, motivating big research and development efforts from industry and academia.
In this context, the interconnection network plays an essential role in the architecture of HPC systems and datacenters, as the number of processing or storage nodes to be interconnected in these systems is very likely to grow significantly to meet the higher computing and storage demands.
The main goal of HiPINEB workshops is to gather and discuss the latest and most prominent efforts and advances, both from industry and academia, in the design and development of scalable high-performance interconnection networks, especially those oriented towards meeting the Exascale challenge and Big-data demands.
List of HiPINEB workshops
- HiPINEB 2015 (1st Edition), Chicago, IL, USA (in conjunction with IEEE Cluster 2015)
- HiPINEB 2016 (2nd Edition), Barcelona, Spain (in conjunction with IEEE HPCA 2016)
- HiPINEB 2017 (3rd Edition), Austin, TX, USA (in conjunction with IEEE HPCA 2017)
- HiPINEB 2018 (4th Edition), Vienna, Austria (in conjunction with IEEE HPCA 2018)
Journal Special Issues
- Journal of Supercomputing. Special Section on High-Performance Interconnection Networks for Exascale and Big Data (2016), Volume 72, Issue 12, December 2016 (link to the journal).
- Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. Special Issue on Trends in High-Performance Interconnection Networks in the Exascale and Big-Data Era (2017),Volume 29, Issue 13, 10 July 2017 (link to the journal)
- Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. Special Issue on Trends in High-Performance Interconnection Networks in the Exascale and Big-Data Era (HiPINEB 2017). Under review.
- Summer School on High-Performance Interconnection Networks for HPC and Datacenters in the Exascale and Big-Data Era, Univerisity of Castilla-La Mancha, July 10-11, 2017, Albacete, Spain